Jan 21, 2008

Make Those Goals Realistic: Work at Home Tip Monday

Today's tip is one that many people see as a no-brainer, but honestly it's harder than many work at home moms realize once they actually start their business. With a new year almost a month underway, now is a great time to talk about goals and how to set them for an at home business or job.

Patrysha from Easy Results with Radio brings us our WAH Tip this week.

My best tips are to set and write down realistic achievable goals and then put yourself on a schedule to reach them.

I know for me personally, setting goals is not an easy task. I have them in mind, but actually seeing them through is something I tend to put on the back burner. It's easy to do this in any business, but especially a service based business like the one I run. Clients needs and the money to be made from those tasks seem to take a front seat with me. This usually ends up meaning I put my own goals on hold thinking "I'll get to them as soon as I finish this for so and so."

This is where setting goals that are reachable makes a difference. For instance, it's easy to set a goal of doubling our income this year. However, if you don't break it down and actually make a detailed plan to actually reach that goal, the likelihood of actually getting to the doubled income is very low.

So, one of the things you can do is set that goal, but break it up into smaller more achievable goals. Here's an example.

Main Goal - Reach Income of X amount of dollars.

To-Do List of Tasks (How I'll Get There)

  1. Seek New Clients
  2. Raise Hourly/Project Rates
  3. Advertising Options (this can be broken down into various forms of advertising as well)
  4. Etc.
The point of making a list such as the one above is to give yourself something to look at and see that you are actually making progress. This is another biggie when it comes to reaching your goals. If you don't actually SEE the progress towards your ultimate goal, it's easy to get discouraged and give up.

How have you set yourself up to see your goals through for your business or work at home job? We'd love to hear your ideas and be able to pass them along to others as well.




No comments: