Dec 16, 2006

Tag Hunter's "IT"

For about a month now, atleast one of the members of this family has been sick at any given time. Nothing major just chest colds, teething, runny know the winter sickies that always go around.

Well, I thought we were over it and everyone was on the mend, but Thursday Hunter started running a fever and was just not himself AT ALL. Even when he's sick and teething, he usually still runs around and plays, albeit at a slower pace. Not this time though. He was at his Granny and Grandaddy's so that I could work and they could spend some time with him since the weather was nice. About 2 hours after he left, Granny called. He woke up from a nap with a temperature of 102 and acting like he was in never never land, crying out Ma-Ma, Ma-Ma. I could hear him on the phone when she called. I didn't like the feeling of hearing him sad and I couldn't be there to comfort him when he called for me.

She brought him home and I gave him some tylenol and the fever finally broke, but only about 10 minutes before the medicine started to wear off. Not long enough at all to get the rest he so obviously needed. He finally started acting better, the fever broke and he went to sleep about 6.

I thought for sure he was out for the night, but about 7:30 he woke up and was burning up with fever again and shaking like he was freezing. Took his temperature and it was 104. We gave him more tylenol trying to get the fever under control, but he was so weak he could hardly move. His diaper was wet so I changed it and he just laid there, which is VERY out of the ordinary for him. Usually I'm about 2 seconds away from finding some rope to tie him still! ;) Just kidding of course, but honestly, I didn't think a 1 year old could ever be that strong and that determined.

We decided to take him to the ER because the fever wouldn't break and we were worried it would end up so high that he would start convulsing and we live a good 30 minutes from the nearest hospital.

The verdict: Ear infection in his left ear. This is his first ear infection and only my 2nd as a Mama. I was lucky with Zach in that he only had 1 when he was small and that was when he was 2 or 3.

Once they got some Motrin in him at the hospital it started to make a difference in how he was acting. They prescribed a 5 day antibiotic treatment (must be some strong stuff if it's only 5 days, I seem to remember 10-14 days).

Yesterday he still felt bad and wanted his Mama almost all day, so needless to say I got very little work done, except for the hour or so he did nap yesterday afternoon. Honestly, I think that's his way (or God's way) of telling me to slow down! ;)

He didn't sleep well last night. Needless to say, I didn't either. He woke up just after I went to sleep and couldn't go back to sleep unless he was laying in our bed next to his Dada. Let's just say, I have given birth to another (and worse than the first) kidney kicker! ;) Thank goodness for cribs or else he would end up in the floor a dozen times each night the way he rolls and kicks in his sleep!

Today, well he's pretty much his old self. Right now, he and Zach are playing and crackin' me up with their shannigans!


Anonymous said...


I hope Hunter feels better soon (and you too!); Merry Christmas to all of you! We will be in Virginia from December 26-31; Would love to see you while we are there. Love to all of you!


Arika said...

Hey there gal! Merry Christmas to you and yours too!